7th Wisconsin Infantry & Their Flag

The Seventh Wisconsin Infantry was organized at Camp Randall, Madison, WI, and mustered into the service of the United States on the 16th of September, 1861, leaving the state on the 21st and reaching Washington, D.C., October 1, 1861. It joined General King's command, becoming part of the same "Iron Brigade" to which the Sixth Wisconsin had heretofore been assigned, and continued in the same brigade, division and corps with the Sixth until the surrender of the Confederates under General Lee to the Union Army commanded by Gen. Grant, April 9, 1865, serving in all the campaigns fought by the Army of the Potomac except the Peninsular Campaign. The Seventh took part in the Grand Review at Washington and shortly thereafter was, with regiments of the Army of the Potomac, transferred to Louisville, KY, where it was mustered out of the service of the United States July 3, 1865, returned to Madison, WI, July 5, 1865, and was disbanded.

Mid 1862-Nov 1863. Flag exhibits characteristics of Eastern flag manufacturers. Possibly ordered from Philadelphia to replace 1861 Gilbert Hubbard and Co. National flag for unknown reasons.
Flagpole was cut from an oak tree on the battlefield at Gettysburg, Pennsylvania to replace original staff destroyed by cannister fire.
21 September 1861, made by Mrs. R. C. Powers.
9 September 1863, made by Gilbert Hubbard and Co. of Chicago.
9 September 1863, made by Gilbert Hubbard and Co. of Chicago.
9 September 1863, made by Gilbert Hubbard and Co. of Chicago.

Warning: Unknown: open(/home/content/90/14029190/tmp/sess_re5gh3l1be6o3bmf91v974vr74, O_RDWR) failed: No such file or directory (2) in Unknown on line 0

Warning: Unknown: Failed to write session data (files). Please verify that the current setting of session.save_path is correct () in Unknown on line 0